HIGH QUALITY SCIENTIFIC CONTENT,  ONLINE OPEN ACCESS,  GLOBAL SCIENTIFIC AUDIENCE,  COST EFFECTIVE, ANY ONE CAN DOWNLOAD REPRINTS 
Spreading knowledge

Google Scholar

Google Scholar

Archives

Back 

MICROBIAL AND CHEMICAL ASSAY OF DIPHENHYDRAMINE HYDROCHLORIDE IN DIFFERENT BRANDS OF COUGH SYRUPS MARKETED IN ABUJA. Mustapha K B, Oladosu P, Mmuo M I, Izebe K, Kirim RA, Okafor I, Mohammed S, Oladepo D K, Gamaniel KS

MICROBIAL AND CHEMICAL ASSAY OF DIPHENHYDRAMINE HYDROCHLORIDE IN DIFFERENT BRANDS OF COUGH SYRUPS MARKETED IN ABUJA.

Mustapha K B, Oladosu P, Mmuo M I, Izebe K, Kirim RA, Okafor I, Mohammed S, Oladepo D K, Gamaniel KS

International Journal of Applied Microbiology Science 2013; 2(1):1-7

Abstract

Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride (DPH HCl) is an antihistamine used as antitussives in cough syrup, being one of the major active ingredients. The chemical and microbial assays of six (6) different brands of commonly used cough syrup in Abuja, Nigeria were carried out. The microbial load was determined using the viable cell count method. The levels of contamination of the six different cough syrups investigated were within the official limits of organisms specified for syrups and suspensions. Some syrup showed absence of pathogenic microorganisms and presence of Bacillus as contamination. Results showed that out of the six cough syrups investigated, two failed percentage content specifications for DPH HCl (B.P.). Failure of these syrups is implicative in the success of the drugs during therapy and further affects negatively the output of the individuals. Such drugs can be considered as substandard.

Keywords: Contamination, cough syrup, diphenhydramine hydrochloride, microbial assay.
Attachments:
Time to create page: 0.17 seconds

Copyright © All rights reserved Science Instinct Publications sciipub.com