HIGH QUALITY SCIENTIFIC CONTENT,  ONLINE OPEN ACCESS,  GLOBAL SCIENTIFIC AUDIENCE,  COST EFFECTIVE, ANY ONE CAN DOWNLOAD REPRINTS 
Spreading knowledge

Google Scholar

Google Scholar

Archives

Back 

INCIDENCE OF OCCURRENCE OF SCELIO SPECIES ON THE EMBRYO OF THREE HIEROGLYPHUS SPECIES FROM PAKISTAN. Riffat Sultana, Yawar Saeed Wagan, Muhammad Saeed Wagan, Muhammad Tahir Rajput

INCIDENCE OF OCCURRENCE OF SCELIO SPECIES ON THE EMBRYO OF THREE HIEROGLYPHUS SPECIES FROM PAKISTAN.

Riffat Sultana, Yawar Saeed Wagan, Muhammad Saeed Wagan, Muhammad Tahir Rajput

International Journal of Applied Microbiology Science 2012; 1(3): 10-19

Abstract

Scelio species are virtually restricted to parasitizing the eggs of Acrididae in many countries of world including Pakistan. This genus is considered as largest within the subfamily Scelioninae, with an estimate of around 500 species. In the present study three species of Scelio namely: Scelio hieroglyphi (Timberlake), S. aegypticus Priesner and and S. mauritanicus Risbec were collected from the egg-pods of three host species of Hieroglyphus i-e H. perpolita (Uvarov), H. oryzivouous Carl and H. nigrorepletus I. Boliver in Pakistan during the year 2011. Out of 1357 egg pods, 34.25% were undamaged, 8.98% were partially parasitized and the rest of 56.74% were fully parasitized; overall parasitism ratio was reported significantly highest i.e., upto 23.36% on H. nigrorepletus followed by 19.38% and 14.0% on H. oryzivorus and H. perpolita respectively. Overall parasitism ratio of S. aegypticus was reported significantly highest i.e., 36.0% followed by 33.75% and 30.16 % caused by Scelio hieroglyphi and S. mauritanicus respectively.
The eggs of Scelio species were very small in size. If a female of each parasite therefore, deposited the eggs in a host egg, it was very difficult to distinguish the parasite eggs from the yolk of the host eggs. It was also observed that large sized egg-pods were partially parasitized as grasshopper nymph also emerge along with the parasites, where as in pods with fewer eggs nothing except the parasite emerge and were called fully parasailed freshly laid egg-pods were preferred over old during parasitization. Present study strongly recommended that Scelio species played a significant role in the regulation of Orthopteran populations in the field and were implicated in suppressing the number of numerous pest species of locusts and grasshoppers.

Keywords: Hieroglyphus, pest, biological control agent, Scelio spp. parasites, orthopteran
Attachments:
Time to create page: 0.15 seconds

Copyright © All rights reserved Science Instinct Publications sciipub.com